Citations and Arrest
If the police have stopped you on suspicion of committing a misdemeanor offense, they may arrest you or issue you with something called a citation. When an officer chooses not to make a physical arrest, the issuance of a citation means that you won’t be detained at that time; but don’t make the mistake of assuming a citation isn’t serious.
What is a Citation?
Citations are typically issued for non-violent offenses, such as driving on a suspended license or possession of a small amount of drugs. But even though a citation allows you to leave the scene of the offense, it is still a criminal charge and can lead to a conviction, jail time, fines, and a permanent criminal record. An Orange County defense attorney can help you determine your rights and options if you’ve received a criminal citation.
At The Law Offices of Bryan R. Kazarian, we have successfully represented countless clients in cases involving citations. We have an impressive track record of getting clients’ charges reduced, or dropped altogether. Without skilled legal counsel, a citation can easily come back to bite you. Contact The Law Offices of Bryan R. Kazarian today at 855-918-4253 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.
What Happens When a Citation is Issued?
- If you receive a criminal citation, you will likely be:
- Fingerprinted and photographed by law enforcement;
- Subjected to a records search for outstanding warrants;
- Required to report for booking at the courthouse or jail;
- Ordered to appear in court at a scheduled date.
Citations are issued in lieu of physical arrest to reserve jail space for more serious criminals and to allow officers to focus their efforts on keeping the peace in their patrol area.
When is Physical Arrest the More Likely Option?
Generally speaking, citations are only issued for non-violent offenses. If any of the below factors are present, the issuance of a citation is not permitted and a physical arrest will likely be made.
- The officer reasonably believes that the individual will fail to appear in court.
- The individual poses a reasonable threat to the safety of others.
- The individual has outstanding warrants.
- Releasing the individual would likely jeopardize an investigation into the crime.
- Physical or mental health care is required for the individual’s own safety.
Whether you are cited to appear in court for a less serious offense or arrested and detained pending a court appearance, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced Orange County citations/arrest attorney as soon as possible.
Contact The Law Offices of Bryan R. Kazarian Today
If you have been charged with any criminal offense, the skilled legal team at The Law Offices of Bryan R. Kazarian can help. Whether you received a citation or were physically detained, you have rights. Our experienced, highly-knowledgeable attorneys have been protecting the rights of individuals charged with crimes for more than 16 years. We have an impressive track record of obtaining the outcomes our clients want, and we will remain by your side from start to finish. Don’t go through this difficult, stressful process without the help of skilled legal counsel. Contact The Law Offices of Bryan R. Kazarian today at 855-918-4253 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.
EXPERIENCED. AGGRESSIVE. CAPABLE.
What Makes Our Firm Different
The criminal defense attorney you hire to represent you is one of the most important decisions you will make.
Here are the values that guide our services:
- Experienced: Our firm has over 16 years of experience, so you can feel confident you will receive quality legal counsel.
- Client-Centered: We put our clients first. Drawing on that belief, and our knowledge of criminal law, we find solutions that best meet our clients’ individual needs.
- Superior Results: Regardless the legal matter, we work tirelessly to achieve exceptional outcomes for our clients.
- Trusted Advice: To guide you through this difficult time in your life, we provide sophisticated legal advice you can trust.
16+ YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
Criminal Defense Practice Areas
“Bryan is a miracle worker, his reputation goes beyond making slim to nothing chances, almost impossible… Possible. I highly recommend Bryan for any obstacle or unfortunate bind you get yourself into. You won’t regret it…”
TUONG VY L.
“I wouldn’t be able to see these beautiful surroundings that I am experiencing now if I did not have my freedom, I owe that to you Mr. Kazarian and for that I am eternally grateful.”
“Bryan helped me navigate a tough case, and got me the best deal we could manage all while avoiding a bunch of headache and any jail time.”